The chair has been a little daunting at times because we have never done a chair like this before but its really not that hard. You just need the right materials and a plan when tackling a chair. Time is another thing you need lot of, we have spent about 12 hours on this chair and we are still not done. Let’s get started with another round of reupholstering. Today we added foam to the arms.We stapled the foam to the arms, the foam was just the right size and we did not have cut the foam.
I used regular density foam from airtex, I again went to Joann’s and purchased the foam that was on sale!
After the foam was added its time to add the batting on top of the foam. The reason I added the batting is to add that extra layer of softness. We did not staple the seat foam because it fit snuggled between the frame and the fabric will keep it in place once placed on the chair.
As you can see the layer below.
My hubby and I could not agree on the pattern for the chair. I wanted a flower fabric and he wanted a manly fabric. Finally the only fabric we agreed on was the black and white fabric from Ikea and luck for me again that it was on sale for $3.99 a yard. I purchased 5 1/2 yards with a little extra just in case I messed up, which I always do. When using pattern fabric we need to keep in mind the way you want the fabric to look on the chair. Trust me I messed up twice just trying to get the pattern just right for the seat of the chair.
After the patterned was cut and we pressed it down between the batting and the frame of the chair.We are cutting each pattern as we go. We cut a little extra around each patterned to make sure their is enough to staple on the frame. Its better to have extra than less of.
Here how it should look after the fabric has been placed.
Ta-da!!! I did the arms and seat cushion. Next time I will show you the back of the chair and how to place the fabric on the arms.
I wanted to thank you for your lovely comments and support!