CWTS-button-grab

The finale of Chair Reupholstering tutorial

Finale of the chair reupholstering!
The chair has been a long process and the first project my hubby and I have worked on together our 6 years we have been together and it was difficult at times. We found that we got on each others nerves quite easily. However, I believe that we need to do more projects together, believe me its going to be a while before we do another chair but it helped us know each other a little bit more in a different light.  I think all couples should do projects together its a great bonding experience.

We have finally reached the final steps to completing reupholstering my chair. We added a strip of black fabric at the bottom front of the chair to hide the edge of the fabric from the cushion. I initially was going to use decorative nails, however the nail kept bending because we could not get the right hammer and it was very time consuming so I decided to use rope instead.
First I stapled the fabric to the frame and hid the cushion fabric behind it.
Then I moved to the armrest and instead of only using fabric I added a layer of batting to the back of the fabric. I did not have a pattern for this part so I formed the pattern by pinning it to the armrest, outlining a pattern and cutting. When I had it to were it looked perfect I stapled it to the frame.

I found the decorative rope trim at Joann’s, instead of paying it by yard which would have been a little bit more expensive I found already pre-cut trim for a little less and I could use my 40% coupon.
The glue I used is Aleen’s Tacky glue which is used on fabric. Its holding on pretty good. Its already been baby, dog and cat proofed!

Now the fun begins gluing the trim to the fabric to cover the staples. Aleene’s glue works fast and its clear when it dries which is great and if you by mistake place it in the wrong place you can just take a damp cloth and wipe it off.

When cutting the trim add some glue to the end so it does not fray. Here is the finished product!

Back of the chair
Side of the chair towards the back. I covered all the seams of the chair with trim.
My puppy really wanted to be part of the picture you can see part of his tale. hehe
Here is the final look of the chair!

Here are the materials I used and the total amount I spent on this dumpster dive free chair.
1. Ikea fabric $20.00 (5 1/2 yards)
2. Staples & gun ( own)
3. Batting $11.00
4. Foam $38.00 (on sale)
5. Black fabric $ 4.00 (2 yards)
6. Trim $17.00 ( 8 yards)
7. Aleene’s glue (own)
8. Nails $1.50
9.Tack remover $4.00
10. Extra pliers $2.00
Total cost: $97.50
Thank you everyone for joining me on this journey. I hope you all get inspired and do a chair of your own! Feel free to leave a comment if you need more pictures or help and i’ll try my best!
Here are the other post on how this chair came to be.
All Link Parties Can be found here

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

Creating with the Stars

100 thoughts on “The finale of Chair Reupholstering tutorial

1. Terry

I have upholstered chairs before and know the kind of work that is involved. You not only have the most unique chair fabric that I have ever seen, but the final outcome is just outstanding. Great look, great job.

2. Pieced Pastimes

Great job and the fabric is just beautiful! Found you via the Linky hop and have become your newest Linky follower. Look forward to reading your future posts. Hope you have a chance to visit and perhaps follow me back.

3. Shannon @ COZY HOME SCENES

You are brave for tackling this on your own. My mom has make slipcovers, and even that was hard, so I know reupholstering is even harder. You did a great job, and I love that trim!

Thanks for sharing this on the Your Cozy Home Party.

4. Little Gumnut

wow, what a transformation! I’ve been reupholstering a sofa friends of ours found for us on the side of the road. Have just got the last bit to do at the back but I am stuck for lack of knowing where to look for upholstery tacks!!! Grrr. One day! I might use normal nails and then use your idea of glueing on decorative braid!

5. Kim@My Fairytale Cottage

Hello, I’m stopping over from White Wednesday! FANTASTIC chair. I LOVE IT!! Great job you guys did! I’m really glad I found your blog, I’m your newest follower, and look forward to other posts!
    Have a great day!

-Kim 🙂

6. Eclectically Vintage

The chair itself is amazing – the shape (and the fact that it was free!!). I’ve never upholstered anything but your great tutorial made me want to try – although I doubt mine would turn out that great. Love the mod fabric on the vintage chair too. New GFC and Linky follower.
    Kelly

7. Katie Goldsworthy

Seriously, this is one of the most awesome reupholstered chairs I have ever seen! The fabric couldn’t be cooler and you did a great job. It was nice seeing the process. I realize now that I’ve been doing too much sewing on my chair reupholstery jobs!
    LOVE this. I’ll be featuring on FB later this week!
    Thanks for sharing it at Creatively Living!
    –Katie

8. Bekah

This is so awesome! I have a chair exactly like this that I need to reupholster. I’m so intimidated by it, though. Yours looks like it was done by a pro!

9. Ginger Zuck

Wow-zerrrr!! I am so impressed. Turned out stunning and I love the pattern of the fabric. Can you come live with me for a while?? A really long time??? I could keep you busy, that’s for sure.

10. freckled laundry

Loren! That’s insanely awesome. I saw your progress photos last week and was looking forward to the final. You surely pulled this one off. Wow. Can’t believe it’s the same chair. Using a patterned fabric like that is no easy task. Thank you for sharing with air your laundry Friday. xo Jami

11. ruthie

The chair looks great! I have a couple of chairs I’ve wanted to recover, but been a little intimated. After seeing what you have done, I’ll just give it a try!

12. Sewconsult

If there is a “oscar award” for upholstering, you have won it. The chair looks like a designer one that would cost thousands and thousands of dollars. You and hubby should be very proud.
    Beckie in Brentwood, TN

13. Stacy Ann

THANK YOU!!! This is so awesome! I have almost that exact chair I got for $5 at a garage sale. Actually when I ripped it apart I found a quarter so it’s really my $4.75 chair. I can’t wait to get started on it thanks to your helpful posts.

14. Mandy

Hi Loren, Thanks so much for linking up your gorgeous chair to Project Queen! I will be featuring it tonight at the highlight party. I’m a new L.F.! If you like, follow me back.

Mandy

15. Honey at 2805

Your is a spectacular job, Lauren! The choice of fabrics is fabulous! Thanks for sharing your terrific project at Potpourri Friday! I am following you via Linky and and you will do the same.

16. The Shady Porch

Amazing transformation! You and the hubby did a super job too. I like your bold fabric choice. I also agree it’s good to do projects with the hubby, although it does get bumpy sometimes, it’s awesome when you accomplish something together! Thanks for sharing!

17. Anonymous

The chair is amazing!!!! Wow, I have got to try my hand at reupholstering…. but, I’ve always thought it would probably be too difficult for me to handle! Thanks for the tutorial! You have totally inspired me!Again, that is one beautiful chair.

18. Honey at 2805

You are featured today on Potpourri Friday!

Would you think about turning off your word verification below. It sure slows things down and Blogger does a very good job of catching spam. I am never had a comment get through that was bad.

19. Terry

Your chair turned out beautiful! I can’t get over the transformation and love all the pictures and tutorials. Thanks for linking up, this will be one of my top five picks of the week. I hope you have time to come back again this weekend and show another project…love the idea that both you and hubby worked on this!

20. I'm Busy Procrastinating

Found you at a link party. I love the way the fabric swirls around the chair, giving it such movement. I have a chair I purchased for $4 at Goodwill that I’ve been procrastinating about. This gives me a push to do it!

21. gail

Kaysi, took the words right out of my mouth… amazing chair transformation.
    you make it look easy, someday I’m going to attempt this. 🙂
    gail

22. Lisa Renata

I love love love how this turned out. And the fabric you chose is amazing. I’m yet to re-upholster a big piece like this, it always intimidates me, but you sure battled those fears. Good for you.,

23. Nancy Bandzuch

the fabric is, simply put, amazing. Wow. I would LOVE to own that chair. WOW.
    Thanks for linking up to the oldies party this week–the new party will be live on Monday night.
    AND, I’m excited to be featuring this oldie, but definitely a goodie!
    Nancy

24. Lauren Lanker

Whoah. That was a MAJOR transformation. It looks so lush and elegant now…and it is calling my name to sit in it and cozy up with a good book.

I’ve been reading a lot of upholstery tutorials recently, and it really does seem like a TON of work…but well worth it! Might muster up the courage to take on my own someday.

Warmly,