Finale of the chair reupholstering!
The chair has been a long process and the first project my hubby and I have worked on together our 6 years we have been together and it was difficult at times. We found that we got on each others nerves quite easily. However, I believe that we need to do more projects together, believe me its going to be a while before we do another chair but it helped us know each other a little bit more in a different light. I think all couples should do projects together its a great bonding experience.
We have finally reached the final steps to completing reupholstering my chair. We added a strip of black fabric at the bottom front of the chair to hide the edge of the fabric from the cushion. I initially was going to use decorative nails, however the nail kept bending because we could not get the right hammer and it was very time consuming so I decided to use rope instead.
First I stapled the fabric to the frame and hid the cushion fabric behind it.
Then I moved to the armrest and instead of only using fabric I added a layer of batting to the back of the fabric. I did not have a pattern for this part so I formed the pattern by pinning it to the armrest, outlining a pattern and cutting. When I had it to were it looked perfect I stapled it to the frame.
I found the decorative rope trim at Joann’s, instead of paying it by yard which would have been a little bit more expensive I found already pre-cut trim for a little less and I could use my 40% coupon.
The glue I used is Aleen’s Tacky glue which is used on fabric. Its holding on pretty good. Its already been baby, dog and cat proofed!
Now the fun begins gluing the trim to the fabric to cover the staples. Aleene’s glue works fast and its clear when it dries which is great and if you by mistake place it in the wrong place you can just take a damp cloth and wipe it off.
When cutting the trim add some glue to the end so it does not fray. Here is the finished product!
Back of the chair
Side of the chair towards the back. I covered all the seams of the chair with trim.
My puppy really wanted to be part of the picture you can see part of his tale. hehe
Here is the final look of the chair!
Here are the materials I used and the total amount I spent on this dumpster dive free chair.
1. Ikea fabric $20.00 (5 1/2 yards)
2. Staples & gun ( own)
3. Batting $11.00
4. Foam $38.00 (on sale)
5. Black fabric $ 4.00 (2 yards)
6. Trim $17.00 ( 8 yards)
7. Aleene’s glue (own)
8. Nails $1.50
9.Tack remover $4.00
10. Extra pliers $2.00
Total cost: $97.50
Thank you everyone for joining me on this journey. I hope you all get inspired and do a chair of your own! Feel free to leave a comment if you need more pictures or help and i’ll try my best!
Here are the other post on how this chair came to be.
All Link Parties Can be found here
Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4