featuredbutton

Burlap Halloween Wreath

Its that time again, Halloween tutorials! I just love Halloween and this year I started early getting my decorations out and planning what I am going to be doing for the next couple of weeks. My first project for any holiday is a Halloween wreath! Decorating the front door is the first thing I like to do because it sets the mood for the rest of the house.
First thing I was run to Joann’s  and purchased colored burlap fabric. They had a beautiful orange and black burlap fabric. I did not use the orange is this project but I am saving it for something good. I got half a yard of each and it only cost me $2 each.
Then I went to Michaels and purchased a green foam wreath.  I cut the burlap in long strips to go around the wreath. Oh by the way when cutting burlap just remember its going to itch! haha. I had little strands all over my arm and jeans by the end of the night.
Once you have made all the strips depending of the thickness,  half a yard should be more than enough. You can use a little bit of fabric glue to connect each strip and as you wrapped it around the wreath.
I did not trim the little thread because I thought it added that old spooky feel.
The next thing I started was the large wooden letters I got over at Michaels. They had them on clearance for $1 when usually they are about $3 each. It was a great buy and they had just the letters I need! I had quilt batting which I cut and twisted and stapled on the wooden letters.
If you have not been to Joanns to take a look at there Halloween fabric you should, they have very cute fabric just for the occasion.  I am so in love with this spider fabric I got there to cover the wooden letters.  I tied the letters to the wreath with black yarn. I did not want to glue them because I wanted to make sure it would be easy to store later on.
After I covered all three letters I stared on my spider web. I used yarn I had laying around for this part of the project. I cut ten pieces all the same length and then folded them in half and used bobbies pins to hold them in place on the wreath. I crossed them with each other toward the center of the wreath and it makes it look like a star.
Now the fun part begins which is to take a larger piece of white yarn fold it in half and wrap   around one of the string in the center of the web. Then you just put the open end of the yarn through the loop end and pull.
Once that is done then you just wrap the yarn around every pinned string.
Now you have a yarn spider web!
I wanted to add just something a little special to my wreath and I decided to add light to it. I found 10 wire lights at Michaels. I pierced through the burlap to hold the lights in place.
I wrapped the battery box with black yarn and tied it to the wreath.
Let the decorating begin! I added some black flowers that I got from Michaels.
I also added this cute little skeleton it would not be Halloween without one!
Last and not least I made jewelry spiders! I will have a tutorial for this beauties really soon.
I took out my last year Halloween wreath and I could see the difference on how my crafty talents have developed.
Last year I was very proud of my Halloween wreath and this year I am in love with my new Halloween wreath. It takes a lot of work and time to improve at anything and looking at last years crafts lets me know I am in the right path.
I hope you all enjoyed the tutorial!
Till Next time,
Linking up Here
Featured Here

Crafty Confessions

33 thoughts on “Burlap Halloween Wreath

1. Donna Wilkes

Great tutorial – my favorite part had to be the letters and the jeweled spiders. I have a special affinity for spiders!

Hint for burlap itch: I coat my arms and hands with creamy petroleum jelly and let it soak in. For some reason it helps protect your skin.

Distressed Donna Down Home

2. Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer

I absolutely love this, it is so very creative and I could see your mind working as you went through the tutorial, I love the letters and the fabric pattern you chose. Outstanding! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

3. Ladies Holiday

Love the spider web touch in the middle! Very Spooky! Saying Hi from Mom on A Time Out Hop…I host Photo Friday Link Party, I’d love to have you link up this or any other original photo from your blog. Happy Hopping!

4. Bingo Buttercup Crafts

I love this wreath–esp. the burlap’s texture and the awesome spider fabric for the letters! overall you have achieved a great balance of textures and a pretty stellar one of a kind wreath, great crafting my dear! found ya via Here Comes the Sun’s linky party! Following ya now and can’t wait to see more!

5. kate blue

super cute and super crafty-love that you didn’t trim the burlap too! I tell my friends all the time to get their burlap at Joann’s-suepr cheap and they have more colors than the tan (I got red, tan and black but def need the chocolate too-)I’m a burlap addict!

6. Micki Sellers

I wish I would have looked at your tutorial first! I pinned it and looked at the pictures and tried to figure it out…wondering how much time it took to sew those letters! LOL You inspired my wreath for sure!

7. Yvonne @ StoneGable

What a spooktacular dyi! I love that you used burlap to wrap your wreath. What a fun and festive halloween decoration!
    Your project would be perfect to share at TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS, my weekly linky party going on now! Come on over and join in!

8. lisbonlioness

WHAT!!! This is perfection- I’d pay some serious money for this if you hadn’t told me how to make my own 😀 The batting around wooden letters is an idea I will be glad to have found for years to come. And I just can’t get over the spider web… and the lights. Sure you didn’t make this for me and are just waiting for me to tell you where to send it to?

9. Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com

Great job. I love the fabrics and textures. My weekly linky party–One Creative Weekend–has gone spooky this week in honor of my thirteenth party. If you haven’t already, I hope you’ll visit “One Creative Weekend” on OneCreativeMommy.com (open every Fri-Wed) and link up this idea and anything else you’d like to share. (You can include non-Halloween posts as well, but feel free to link up as many Halloween-themed posts as you like.) There are two categories—one for Halloween and one for everything else.

10. Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com

11. schetovodstvo

Good day! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
    I’m getting sick and tired of WordPress because I’ve
    had issues with hackers and I’m looking at options for another platform.

I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

1. Loren Post author

Hi!

I am actually on wordpress, I just switch from blogger. I never got hacked with blogger but they own your stuff and can shut you down when ever they want.

12. busco mujeres

Excellent blog here! Also your website loads up very fast!
    What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?

I wish my site loaded up as fast as yours lol